Thursday 1 November 2012

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Raised in New York City, Barrett received his bachelor's degree from Columbia University, an M.D. from Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, and did his psychiatric residency at Temple University in Philadelphia. Married to Judith Nevyas Barrett, a physician, and the father of three (Daniel, Deborah, and Benjamin), he practiced psychiatry for 35 years. "In the late '60s, I began taking an interest in health frauds," says Barrett, 65. "As time went on, I began cutting down on my practice to pursue my hobby. Eventually, I just shut my door." In 1993 he began pursuing his avocation full time.
Today quackbusting remains his passion, "It's intellectually stimulating and publicly valuable," he says. "I try to look at private communications. For instance, I read chiropractors' journals. I look to see what they're saying among themselves, which may be different from what they're saying to the public."
This armchair warrior has won his share of public battles. One research project into mail-order fraud prompted the passage of the 1983 Mail Order Consumer Protection Act. Another put a good many hair-analysis labs out of business. Barrett also counts among his victories "mail from people thanking me for rescuing them from one sort of quackery or another. That's reward in itself"

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

Discount Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment